Friday, October 16, 2009

Happenings

Let me get you all caught up with our newsy items and happenings. I am 24 weeks pregnant with our second child, a boy. He needs a name and we are open to all suggestions, so please comment with those. I have gained 18 # and the doc says I'm looking good. Belly length is on target, heartbeat is strong. "He who shall not be named" is perfect according to the sonogram from a few weeks ago. I feel good and am in the "good" trimester. Nausea and fatigue are behind me. Rib crushing and the inability to lace my shoes are still far ahead. If Emma's noticed my belly, she has the good manners not to mention it.
Nick is at a talk and reception in the town center for Civano's 10th anniversary. There is a full day of activities planned tomorrow to celebrate our special neighborhood. I've never heard of any other development that is so involved. Always something cool going on here. I would've liked to go, but it started too late for Emma. As I often brag, Nick was here salvaging the trees from this land 12 years ago. So he needs to go and schmooze with the folk. People often tell me that he's the only Shipley they haven't met. Nick, man of mystery.
Emma has a few new tricks. Last two nights she was playing quietly in her room before bedtime (7pm) as we always do, when she walked over to her crib and waved goodnight at us. Basically saying, "Put me in bed, I'm done for the day." Love it! She also says bubble and ball very clearly. Today in the car she pointed out an old gas station sign (something 76, you know) and said "ball". Plain as day, and correct, of course. In the afternoons we have a new routine to catch all the family's homecoming action in our circle. I bring out a couple of toys and chairs, a snack, and traffic cones. We set them up at the perimeter to let incoming cars know that kids are in the street. The only people driving in there are neighbors coming to garages, if you remember how it's set up, and no one comes in fast. But it makes them make eye contact with me so I can let them know that I have Emma and it's safe. Plus, she's learning that those are her boundaries. Emma runs around and gets dirty, the neighbor's kid comes out, all guys come home. When Les comes home, Emma wants to sit in the driver's seat of his truck and pretend. That's his special time with her. Then Nick comes in and takes over for me and gets to visit with everybody. The weather has gotten so nice now that it's a great time to be outside.
I think I've reached my computer limit! I'm going to get a brownie (new recipe, easy and the only scratch brownie I've made that tastes better than box mix) and veg out on my reclining couch. mmm, aaahh is what that sounds like if you're wondering!
With love,
Katie

1 comment:

  1. Lol, "He who shall not be named". You have to name him Tom Riddle now. It would be great :).
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete